The Millwall fan remains in hospital after suffering serious injuries before the Blues match

A Birmingham man has been released on bail after a 60-year-old Millwall fan was seriously injured in an attack in front of his family near St Andrews Stadium. West Midlands Police say the injured man remains in hospital after the incident.

The force launched an investigation after the attack in Cattell Road, just before noon. 15 yesterday (Saturday, April 23).

A 30-year-old man from Smethwick was arrested shortly afterwards in connection with the incident and has been released on bail today (Sunday). Birmingham Police released an update via Twitter, tweeting: “Our investigation into this attack continues. The victim remains in hospital with serious injuries and the 30-year-old man arrested in connection with the crime has been released on bail. Thanks to all who have already been in contact. “

Read moreTwo more were treated for stab wounds as 13 were injured in horror in the center

Police said it is believed the man from London was with his family and had just arrived at the home of Birmingham City Football Club ahead of the match against Millwall when he was assaulted.

West Midlands Police had previously said a motive for the attack was unknown. Studies have already seen CCTV in the area studied and forensic studies are taking place.

The officers support the man’s family. The spokesman added that the force works closely with both football clubs.

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said: “The large police effort in the area for the fight meant the man was well taken care of before being taken to hospital. The crime happened shortly before 3pm. The motive is unknown at this time.

Police and ambulance personnel outside St.  Andrews
Police and ambulance personnel outside St. Andrews

“We work closely with both football clubs and support the man’s family. We have spoken to witnesses, reviewed CCTV footage and have already forensically examined the area. The arrested man has been detained on suspicion of a Section 18 assault.”

The match ended in a 2-2 draw, with Millwall equalizing in overtime.

Police have asked anyone with information to contact them on Live Chat on their website with reference number 2193-23 / 04/22. People can also call the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.