Sheriff of Florida defends homeowner who shot at burglar: ‘We prefer you to do it’

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Florida Sheriff Bob Johnson defended a local homeowner who shot at a burglar who had entered their home. While the identity of the homeowner who fired the weapon is unknown, Sheriff Johnson assured residents that they would not be in trouble for defending their home.

Johnson clarified that the homeowner did not hit the uninvited guest and did nothing wrong in the process.

“If someone breaks into your house, you’re more than welcome to shoot them in Santa Rosa County. We actually prefer that you do,” Johnson said at a news conference after the burglary.

Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson said at a news conference Thursday that one of the homeowners fired shots at Harris, saying he was arrested after being trapped in a house he allegedly broke into.

Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson said at a news conference Thursday that one of the homeowners fired shots at Harris, saying he was arrested after being trapped in a house he allegedly broke into.
(Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office)

On “Fox & Friends” on Tuesday, Johnson explained that the suspect was a “frequent flyer” who had broken into four other houses in the same neighborhood. Police had followed him and caught him about 15 minutes after he was shot.

Johnson classified the suspect as a “frequent flyer” because he had previously been arrested 17 times and served a six-and-a-half-year prison sentence for home invasion.

FLORIDA GOV. RON DESANTIS WRITES GOVERNMENT CREATING NEW ELECTION POLICE UNIT

“We hope this will be his third strike and he will get in jail and not get out because we are tired of having to deal with him, to be honest with you.”

Johnson urged Santa Rosa County residents to take gun safety courses to prepare for similar events.

“If someone breaks into your house in Santa Rosa County and you shoot and kill them, the chances of them repeating themselves afterwards are zero and we like those odds,” Johnson told host Ainsley Earhardt.

“So in Santa Rosa County, if you break into a house, you roll the dice.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Johnson said he ran for sheriff by reminding residents he is a police officer, not a politician. He said he receives overwhelming support from the local community.

“I’m telling everyone that 99% of the people here love law enforcement and the other 1% are in my prison at the moment,” he said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.