Madeleine McCann’s parents have said that she ‘will always be our daughter’ in a gripping new message.
Kate and Gerry McCann have promised to find an end to what happened to the toddler on May 3, 2007.
Nearly 15 years after her disappearance, they say it is ‘important’ to find the truth.
In a message on the Facebook page for the Find Madeleine campaign, Kate and Gerry McCann wrote: ‘This year it’s been 15 years since we last saw Madeleine.
‘It does not feel harder than anything else, but neither does it feel easier.
‘It’s a very long time.
‘Many talk about the need for’ closure ‘. It has always been a strange expression.
“Whatever the outcome, Madeleine will always be our daughter, and a truly heinous crime has been committed. These things will remain.
“It is true that uncertainty creates weakness; knowledge and certainty give strength, and therefore our need for answers, for the truth, is essential.”
The couple thanked the authorities in the UK, Portugal and Germany and said a combined effort would ‘yield results’.
Kate and Gerry added: ‘As always, we would like to thank all our supporters for their continued good wishes and support.
‘It’s a huge consolation to know that no matter how long it takes, Madeleine is still in people’s hearts and minds.’
In July 2013, Scotland Yard launched its own investigation, Operation Grange, into Madeleine’s disappearance.
A dedicated team is still working closely with the Portuguese Policia Judiciaria and the German Federal Bureau of Investigation to find answers to Madeleine’s disappearance.
Her case remains a missing person’s investigation, Met has confirmed.
Last month, convicted sex offender Christian Brueckner was declared an official suspect by Portuguese authorities, which was welcomed by the couple.
The 44-year-old has reportedly denied any involvement in the case and has not been charged.
Today, Sky News reported that he was ‘many miles’ from the scene of Madeleine’s abduction.
He claims he drove a woman to an airport in Faro, Portugal on May 3, 2007.
The couple was stopped and photographed at a police roadblock, Brueckner said.
German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters, who is leading the Madeleine investigation with Portuguese and British detectives, told Sky News: ‘I assume that if he has something that exempts him, he will sooner or later share it with us, and then we’ll check it out. What happens next, let’s see.
“So far he has not told us anything, he has not given us any alibi. So we can only work on the evidence we have found so far in our investigation. And there was nothing to acquit him. ‘
In addition to kidnapping Madeleine, Brueckner is also suspected of raping an Irish tour representative in 2004 and exposing himself to young people on a playground in the Algarve.
He is currently serving a seven-year sentence in a German prison for raping a 72-year-old woman.
Get in touch with our news team by sending us an email at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check out our news page.