Connect with us

News

New Jersey: ‘Hero’ pet pig rescues U.S. Navy veteran from house fire

Gilbert Anaya (left) credited his pig Hamilton (center) for rescuing him from a house fire

Gilbert Anaya (left) credited his pig Hamilton (center) for rescuing him from a house fire (Photos: * spotfund / Facebook / Union Fire Department)

A veteran of the U.S. Navy saved lives as combat medics serving in Afghanistan and Iraq, but it was his 500-pound pet pig that apparently saved him when his home caught fire.

Gilbert Anaya, 30, of Union Township, New Jersey, said his pig Hamilton gave him extra time to escape his burning home by closing a garage door and braking the flames as they advanced.

“The fire department said he bought me 15 to 20 minutes by closing the door,” Anaya told the New York Post Thursday. ‘If he had not closed the door, the fire and smoke would have spread faster.’

A surge protector short-circuited and set fire to Hamilton’s bedding on April 11, apparently causing the pig to wake up. Hamilton, who is trained by Anaya to open and close doors, is believed to have closed the garage door when he fled.

Pig Hamilton has been credited with rescuing its owner from a house fire

Pig Hamilton has been credited with rescuing its owner from a house fire (Photo: Union Fire Department)

‘It was basically licking the wood and the support beams. I was literally sleeping up against the wall that was on fire, “Anaya said.

Anaya woke up to the heat sensation and said he immediately cared about Hamilton. He kicked the closed door in, discovering that his pig had gone outside and was walking around in the backyard.

Both Anaya and his roommate came out of the home safe and sound after firefighters contained and extinguished the fire in less than an hour, according to his sister Victoria.

‘My brother woke up from a dream that his house was on fire. Unfortunately, it was not a dream, ‘Victoria wrote in a * spotfund fundraiser she started for him.

‘For those who know my brother is a big animal person, so we were happy to hear that almost all the animals were rescued (only a few fish were found not ok).’

However, the house was destroyed. He has since lived with a friend as the owner of the property is rebuilding. Meanwhile, Hamilton has been staying in a makeshift tent set up in the backyard.

Hamilton’s owner did not have tenant insurance.

‘If you could please help and donate what you can, to help him replace what was lost while they have to move until the house is fixed,’ Victoria wrote, ‘everything would be greatly appreciated.’

Get in touch with our news team by sending us an email at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check out our news page.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.