CETINJE, Montenegro – Eleven people, including two children and the gunman, were killed in a mass shooting in Montenegro on Friday and six others were injured, a state prosecutor told TV Vijesti after an initial investigation at the scene.
The shooting took place in the town of Cetinje, about 35 kilometers west of Podgorica, the capital of the small Balkan nation.
“When we arrived at the scene, we saw nine dead, including two children, and two more died on the way to the hospital,” Andrijana Nastic, a state prosecutor, told TV Vijesti.
Mrs. Nastic did not say how old the slain children were and could not reveal other details regarding the victims’ identities. Local news media had earlier reported that a policeman had been among the injured.
“All I can say is that the shooter was killed by a citizen,” Nastic said. Local news media had previously reported that police had killed the shooter.
According to police sources quoted by RTCG, a state television channel, the attack, carried out by a 34-year-old man, came after a family dispute. Police have not issued a statement about the attack, but have cordoned off the scene of the shooting.
The RTCG, citing witnesses, said the attacker randomly fired at people walking on the street.
Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic of Montenegro wrote on his Telegram channel that there had been “an unprecedented tragedy” in Cetinje and said a three-day mourning period would be declared in Montenegro from Friday evening.