Japan vs. USMNT
23 September 2022
Dusseldorf Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
Pregame coverage: 8 a.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+; 8:20 ET on UniMás, TUDN
Kickoff: 8:26 am ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; american football on Facebook the american football app
Today’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Japan: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergiño Dest, 3-Walker Zimmerman (Capt.), 4-Tyler Adams, 5-Aaron Long, 6-Sam Vines, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 14 -Luca de la Torre, 21-Gio Reyna
Subs: 18-Ethan Horvath, 25-Sean Johnson, 7-Paul Arriola, 12-Erik Palmer-Brown, 13-Jordan Morris, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16-Mark McKenzie, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Ricardo Pepi, 20 -Reggie Cannon, 22-DeAndre Yedlin, 23-Kellyn Acosta, 24-Josh Sargent, 26-Joe Scally
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT JAPAN
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Weston McKennie (36), Walker Zimmerman (32), Tyler Adams (31), Aaron Long (28), Brenden Aaronson (23), Matt Turner (19), Sergiño Dest ( 18), Jesús Ferreira (14), Gio Reyna (13), Luca de la Torre (12), Sam Vines (9)
- Today’s Starting XI has an average age of 24 years, 143 days and an average number of 20.
- Striker Gio Reyna makes his first international start in more than a year, last in the 0-0 draw in El Salvador to open 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification on 2 September 2021. Reyna dons the number 21 shirt today, the same number his father Claudio wore a total of 42 times for the USMNT, including at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- Defender Sam Vines will make his first USMNT appearance since the Concacaf Gold Cup final against Mexico on August 1, 2021 and will make his first start since the semifinal against Qatar on July 29, 2021. Thanks to that performance against this year’s World Cup hosts, Vines is the only USMNT starter to play against opposition from the Asian Football Confederation.
- After missing both the March and June international windows, defender Sergiño Dest will make his first appearance since the January 30 World Cup qualifier in Canada.
- Walker Zimmerman captains the team for the sixth time today.
- Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre and Weston McKennie start together in midfield for the first time today.
- The forward line of Brenden Aaronson, Jesús Ferreira and Gio Reyna will also start together for the first time today.
- Jesús Ferreira leads all USMNT players with five goals in eight games during 2022.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman are partners in central defense for the 10th time. The USMNT is 7-1-1 when the veteran duo pairs up on the backline.
- Three starters have represented clubs here in Germany. Gio Reyna has played for Borussia Dortmund since 2019, Weston McKennie played for Schalke from 2017-2020 and Tyler Adams represented RB Leipzig from 2019-2022.
- Should he join the game tonight, midfielder Kellyn Acosta will appear against the country where his father and grandmother were born.
- Christian Pulisic is out of today’s list due to a knock he suffered during training earlier this week. He will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis for his availability to play against Saudi Arabia on September 27 in Murcia, Spain.
- The USMNT will dress 25 players, while Japan will dress 26 for today’s game. Six substitutions are allowed at three different moments. Pause does not count as a replacement moment.
- The USMNT is 1-1-0 all-time against Japan. That Samurai blue won the first meeting, a 3-1 victory on March 14, 1993 in Tokyo. The USA won the last meeting, earning a 3-2 result on February 10, 2006 in San Francisco.
- The USMNT is 36-9-9 in 54 games under Gregg Berhalter.
- Today’s game marks the team’s third neutral friendly under Berhalter. The USA earned a 6-2 victory against Panama on November 16, 2020 and a 4-1 victory against Jamaica on March 25, 2021. Both games were played in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
- Felix Zwayer from Germany is the referee for tonight’s match. This is his first time officiating a USMNT match.