A grandfather in Texas died after being stung by thousands of bees while at work.
The landscape lighting technician accidentally bumped into the massive beehive while stuck in a tree.
The man, Franco Galvan Martinez, had been working in a home in Austin, Texas on Thursday when the incident took place, according to local media WKRN, which first reported the story.
Somehow, the 53-year-old had lost control of the ladder he had used to get up to the tree he was working on.
While suspended from the tree, he accidentally triggered the bees from the hive.
“I guess [a] panicking as he tried to knock the bees away from himself, he kicked the ladder away, ”pastor and family friend Joe Maldonado told WKRN.
Still unable to access his ladder and remain suspended from the tree, thousands of bees floated out of the hive and onto Martinez.
Maldonado told the WKRN that there were so many bees that the insects were instantly able to cover Martinez.
During the rescue operation, Martinez’s colleagues also caught the anger of the bees and were stabbed themselves.
The painful bee attack reportedly lasted for 10 minutes.
Finally, firefighters arrived at the scene and trained their snake on the insects, but Martinez did not survive.
City inspectors are investigating the case.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?