General convicted of sex abuse loses pay but avoids jail

“I think the military judge here sent a message that she actually took this seriously,” Mr. Conway to the newspaper. “It could certainly have an impact on his retirement if he were to retire.”

The victim – who did not want her name used but accepted the revelation of her family relationship to General Cooley – said in a statement after the verdict that “the price of peace in my extended family was my silence and it was too high. Price to pay . “

“Doing the right thing, speaking up, telling the truth, should not be so difficult,” she said. “Hopefully it will not be so difficult for the next survivor.”

Ryan Guilds, a lawyer for the woman, said many changes over the past decade have made it less daunting for victims of sexual misconduct by military personnel to come forward. These changes include policy developments that better support prosecutors, greater sensitivity of the military leadership to sexual assaults, increased procedural protection for victims, and prosecutors who are more likely to believe in survivors.

General Cooley’s conviction “is a hopeful sign, for sure,” said Mr. Guilds. “The reality, however, is that any survivor who decides to stand up and make the brave choice will face a justice system that will be very challenging.”

He added: “In this case, it has taken years to reach where she is today and I would not wish that journey on anyone.”

After an evening barbecue in Albuquerque on August 12, 2018, General Cooley, who had been drinking, asked the woman for a ride, she told the court, according to the Air Force.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *