Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer suspended for two years by MLB

Holds space while article actions load

Major League Baseball has suspended Trevor Bauer, the star Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher accused by multiple women of assault, in 324 games, or two years, the longest suspension in the league’s seven-year history of domestic violence and sexual assault policies.

In a statement released Friday, MLB cited a “comprehensive investigation” but did not elaborate on the reasons behind the suspension. “In accordance with the terms of the policy, the Commissioner’s Office will not issue any further statements at this time,” the statement read.

Bauer tweeted immediately after the news that he would appeal the suspension and “expect[s] To win.”

“In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s policy of domestic violence and sexual assault,” Bauer tweeted, adding: “As we have done throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the procedure. . “

Bauer has not played since June last year, when a woman from Southern California filed a temporary restraining order against him, claiming he beat her and strangled her unconscious during sex, leaving her hospitalized. MLB launched an investigation shortly after, and Bauer has been on paid administrative leave ever since.

The suspension, announced on Friday, is unpaid and means that if maintained, Bauer will not be eligible to play in the MLB until the end of April 2024. According to the policy, Bauer may appeal to an independent arbitrator. The suspension is twice as long as the longest penalty under politics so far, pitcher Sam Dyson last year.

Last summer, The Washington Post reported that Bauer had been the subject of a temporary restraining order that an Ohio woman who made similar allegations in 2020 had been placed under a temporary restraining order when Bauer, who then pitched for Cincinnati, won Cy Young Award as the best pitcher of the National League. . Bauer rejected her claims.

“We want to let the action that MLB has taken today speak for itself,” Ohio woman’s attorney Joseph Darwal said Friday. The Post typically does not mention victims of alleged domestic violence unless they ask to be identified.

Dodgers star Trevor Bauer was the subject of previous protection orders

Bauer earned $ 38 million, a record in a single season, from the Dodgers last year, despite missing the second half of the season and the playoffs. He still owed $ 64 million over the next two seasons to the Dodgers, which he will not be paid if the suspension is maintained.

The Dodgers said in a statement that the team “takes all allegations of this kind very seriously and does not tolerate or excuse any acts of domestic violence or sexual assault,” and that it has “fully cooperated with MLB’s investigation since it began. “

“We understand that Trevor has the right to appeal the Commissioner’s decision,” the team’s statement continued. “Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.”

The long-awaited announcement of discipline from the MLB, and Bauer’s pledge to appeal, promise to extend the legal saga surrounding the charges against Bauer. In August, Bauer invoked his fifth right of amendment to avoid standing in the witness stand during a lengthy hearing to determine whether his Los Angeles prosecutor should be granted a restraining order against him.

A Los Angeles Supreme Court judge denied the restraining order and ruled that the woman did not clarify her parameters during consensual sex with the jug. And in February, after months of deliberation, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office publicly refused to prosecute Bauer, announcing that the prosecution was “unable to prove the relevant charges beyond any reasonable doubt.”

Bauer treated the DA’s decision as a justification. But by charging a suspension, MLB does not have to adhere to the same standard of evidence, instead only finding – and defending in any complaint – that Bauer has violated his common policy of domestic violence and sexual assault with the union.

Bauer’s case is the first in the history of MLB’s common policy of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse, adopted in 2015, in which the player has fought against the league on discipline instead of negotiating a length of sentence.

The policy defines domestic violence as “abusive behavior in any intimate relationship used by one partner to gain or retain power and control over another intimate partner,” and states that lack of consent constitutes an act of sexual assault, ” is discharged when a person uses force … or other coercion, or when the victim is asleep, incapacitated, unconscious or legally unable to give consent. “

In Los Angeles, the allegations against Bauer included that he slapped his sex partner in the face and vagina and sodomized her without her consent. He specifically denied these allegations in February in a video he filmed following the decision from the DA’s office.

Bauer sued the prosecutor and her lawyer Monday, arguing that the woman’s persecution of a restraining order was part of a plan to “entice Mr. Bauer to have a harsher sexual experience” and “lay the groundwork for a financial settlement,” she said. has refused. Her lawyer, Bryan Freedman, declined to comment on Bauer’s suspension.

He has also sued two media outlets, Deadspin and Athletic, which covered his case. Both businesses have denied his claims.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.