LOS ANGELES (AP) – Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer sued the woman who accused him of sexually assaulting a federal court Monday, in a move that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against the athlete.
The San Diego woman, whom the pitcher had met through social media, had alleged that Bauer beat and sexually abused her last year. She later sought – but was refused – a restraining order against him. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February that there was not enough evidence to prove the woman’s charges beyond any reasonable doubt.
Bauer named the woman and one of her lawyers, Niranjan Fred Thiagarajah, who was the defendant in the trial. The Associated Press typically does not identify individuals who say they have been victims of sexual assault.
“She wanted to ruin Mr. Bauer’s reputation and baseball career, gain attention and extract millions of dollars from Mr. Bauer,” the lawsuit states.
Thiagarajah and Marc Garelick, another lawyer representing the woman, did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday.
Bauer was put on administrative leave on July 2 under Major League Baseballs and the players’ association’s common policy on domestic violence and sexual assault. The leave has been repeatedly extended and currently expires on Friday.
Bauer has continued to be paid his $ 32 million salary while on leave.
After winning his first Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed to a $ 102 million, three-year contract to join his hometown of Dodgers. He did not break up after June 29 and finished with a record of 8-2 and an ERA of 2.59 in 17 appearances. He was paid his $ 28 million salary last year.
Bauer’s lawsuit says “the damage to Mr. Bauer has been extreme” after the woman claimed he had strangled her to unconsciousness, beat her repeatedly and had anal sex with her without her consent during two sexual encounters last year.
The pitcher has repeatedly said that everything that happened between the two was consensual in the nights they spent together in April and May last year at his home in Pasadena. He said the two had hard sex following her suggestions and followed guidelines they agreed on in advance. Each meeting ended with them joking and she staying overnight.
Last month, Bauer filed a defamation suit against The Athletic and a former journalist, accusing them of “creating and spreading the false narrative” that he broke the woman’s skull.
“We are confident in our reporting and plan to defend ourselves against the allegation,” Athletic spokesman Taylor Patterson said earlier in a statement.