Daniil Medvedev and other Russian stars face Wimbledon ban

Daniil Medvedev is the current world No. 2 and reigning US Open champion

Daniil Medvedev is the current world No. 2 and reigning US Open champion (Photo: Getty)

Russian and Belarusian players will not be allowed to compete at this year’s Wimbledon.

Tournament organizers are set to impose the ban due to the invasion of Ukraine. Players from the two countries have so far been allowed to continue participating in the tennis tour, but under a neutral flag and without playing anthem.

Men No. 2. Daniil Medvedev from Russia and Women World No. 4 Aryna Sabalenka from Belarus will be among those affected by the decision.

Aryna Sabalenka from Belarus would also be prevented from competing at Wimbledon

Aryna Sabalenka from Belarus would also be prevented from competing at Wimbledon (Photo: Getty)

Wimbledon is scheduled to run from Monday 27 June to Sunday 10 July and the All England Club will confirm the ban later on Wednesday.

Wimbledon officials have been in ongoing talks with the British government about the situation, in addition to a number of other bodies, including the Lawn Tennis Association.

British Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston has previously called on all Russian and Belarusian athletes to prove that they are ‘truly neutral’ and to give assurances that they do not support or receive money from Vladimir Putin or the Russian regime.

This year’s Wimbledon tournament starts on June 27 (Photo: Getty)

Olga Savchuk, who was captain of Ukraine in last week’s Billie Jean King Cup match against the United States, said Russian players should be banned from competing.

“It can not just be a sanction against 90% of the Russian people and 10% not,” Savchuk told the New York Times.

‘It has to be equal, and I think it’s collective fault.’

Ukrainian former world No. 13 Alexandr Dolgopolov, meanwhile. thanked Wimbledon for ‘stepping forward and showing the world an example’.

“I believe that Russia should be isolated in every possible way and the people of Russia need to address this issue,” he told BBC Sport.

US Open champion Medvedev reached the fourth round of Wimbledon last year, while Sabalenka was a beaten semi-finalist.

Russian No.15 15 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Belarus’ Victoria Azarenka – a two-time Australian Open champion – will also be missed, along with men’s world number eight Andrey Rublev.

Players from the two countries will still be allowed to participate in the French Open, which begins next month.

MORE: Wimbledon ‘ready to ban’ Daniil Medvedev amid fears victory over Vladimir Putin’s regime

MORE: Daniil Medvedev faces Wimbledon ban unless he condemns Vladimir Putin

For more stories like this, check out our sports page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook,
Twitter and Instagram.

Tennis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.