Avila: Tigers have not had any recent contact with Eduardo Rodriguez

Edward Rodriguez has been away from the Tigers for nearly a month when the club placed the starter on the limited list on June 13th. Detroit announced at the time that he was taking care of personal matters, which Jon Heyman of the New York Post subsequently reported was a marital concern. There was no timetable for his return at the time and it will apparently remain in the air when he returns to the club.

Speaking to reporters this afternoon, Detroit general manager Al Avila stated that the team has not heard from Rodríguez recently (link via Cody Stavenhagen from Athletic). “We reached out, but he obviously has not reached out. We’re just waiting for it,said Avila.It’s unusual, but we have no choice but to wait and see how it goes as we move forward.

Manager AJ Hinch offered a similar report last week. “As far as I know, there has been no movement whatsoever and no communication“Hinch said at the time.”We know he’s safe, we know he’s home with his kids, we know he’s back in Florida, but it’s been pretty quiet.

As part of an aggressive offseason, the Tigers added Rodríguez on a five-year, $ 77MM free agent contract last November. The agreement also gives southpaw an opportunity to opt out after the 2023 campaign. He made eight starts during the first few months of the season and worked to a 4.38 ERA through 39 innings. Rodríguez landed on the injury list on May 22 with a sprain in his chest; he had been on a minor league rematch and working his way back from injury at the time he left the club.

Players on the restricted list do not get paid, so Rodríguez loses pay for any time he spends away from the team. Avila declined to answer when asked if the Tigers would investigate the possibility of trying to cancel his contract altogether. “I will not go into that at this time. It’s a situation, of course, it’s a private situation right now on his part. I will not go into that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.