Android 12 is running on over an eighth of all devices

Earlier this month, Google updated Android distribution numbers to reveal that Android 12 is running on 13.3% of devices.

Before the August 4th update, Google last updated the Android Platform/API version distribution in Android Studio on May 9th. Four months ago, Android 12 was not yet listed in the distribution numbers, and its current inclusion comes before the launch of Android 13.

That said, there is evidence to suggest that Android 12 and above in May was at approximately 6.6%, but was not explicitly listed in Android Studio. The green pie chart is something 9to5Google created to replicate how the information was displayed visually when Android distribution numbers were released monthly. It pulls the same data (directly from Google) used by Android Studio.

August 2022

In May, our chart was at 93.3%, and we assume the remainder needed to reach 100% is predominantly Android 12 (but could also incorporate 12L and 13 Beta). It’s unclear why Google didn’t officially list Android 12 three months earlier. (If we’re correct, in May Android Studio grouped Android 11 and 12 together for whatever reason.)

By that logic, the pie chart for August totals 99.8%. Some of the remaining 0.2% could be Android 12L, which has its own API level (32) given the tablet and foldable improvements. The vast majority of that should come from the latest Made by Google devices (Pixel 3a and above).

May 2022

Meanwhile, Android 11 is now at 27%, up from 23.8% in May. It remains the most used version of Android today, with Android 10 following at 22.3%. Android 9 Pie is still at 14.5% and four years later still beats the latest stable release.

As Google released this data monthly, it was compiled from Android devices that accessed the Play Store during a seven-day period ending on the specified date. The methodology is probably unchanged.

The last monthly publication was in October 2018 and May 2019 saw the first updated figures since then. Google released new statistics in April 2020, November 2021 and May 2022. Google now no longer offers Android distribution information on any official website, but instead only shows the data in Android Studio. The “Create New Project Wizard” gives app developers a chart to see which OS release to target to get the most users while balancing which features to take advantage of.

Dylan Roussel and Kyle Bradshaw contributed to this article.

Thanks tips

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.


Check out 9to5Google on YouTube for more news:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.