Alec Baldwin’s introductory interview after deadly shooting on set released by investigators

Baldwin handled a gun while rehearsing on a stage at Bonanza Creek Ranch in New Mexico in October when a shot was fired that killed film photographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.

In the first moments of his interview, Baldwin asks a deputy if he is being charged with anything, to which the deputy replies that he is not, the video shows. The deputy explains that it is only an interview before he reads Baldwin, he reads his Miranda rights before questioning.

Footage of the interview, conducted in a small interview room, shows Baldwin, describing the process of handling weapons and the usual steps taken on the set.

“Do you think anyone would do this on purpose?” asks the interviewer.

“I can not imagine who would,” Baldwin replied quickly.

The video is one of several files released Monday by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, including photos, footage and reports related to its ongoing investigation, officials said.

“Various components of the investigation are still outstanding, including FBI firearms and ballistic forensics along with DNA and latent fingerprint analysis, the Office of the New Mexico Medical Examiner findings report, and the analysis of Mr. Alec Baldwin’s phone data extracted by Suffolk County (New York) Sheriff investigators. , said Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza in a press release.
During his interview, Baldwin told officers he did not know the last name of the film’s armor man – Hannah Gutierrez Reed – and that she handed the gun directly to him.

When asked if he physically checked the gun himself, Baldwin generally answered about the process by which the armor man checks the gun. He also described how Gutierrez Reed and her team helped equip Baldwin with a holster, knife and pistol.

Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, October 23, 2021.

Baldwin spoke quickly and explained the process of firing a gun with a blank, requiring the actor to respond to the shot as if the gun “kicked back” as it would when firing a direct round. Baldwin walks through the scenes of the scene, reaching out over his body and using his thumb and forefinger to simulate the gun being pulled across his body.

“Bang! It went off – first time,” Baldwin said of the weapon used in the test. “It was the first time we fired that shot, we practiced on that shot.”

Baldwin’s lawyer said the actor welcomes the investigation and said some of the information released on Monday confirms his description of the events.

“The information that has been revealed by the authorities shows once again that Mr. Baldwin acted responsibly and had no control over any production issues identified in the OSHA report,” Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas, said in a statement.

“In addition, the interviews and statements unveiled today continue to confirm Mr Baldwin’s description of the events – including a statement from the detective stating that the cameraman, who was standing next to Mrs Hutchins and Mr Souza on at the time of the accident, confirmed that Mr Baldwin was ‘very careful’ with weapons on the set, “the statement continued.

'Rust' filming report finds 'intentional violations' on set
Last week, Rust Movie Productions, LLC was fined nearly $ 137,000 and quoted as having a culture of “general indifference to employee safety” on the set, according to a report from the New Mexico Environment Department’s Occupational Health & Safety Bureau.

Gutierrez Reed’s lawyers told CNN last week that she “did not have enough time or resources to do her job effectively, despite her expressed concerns.”

When her lawyer reached for a comment Monday, they said they are reviewing the released material and are not commenting at this time. Rust Productions LLC declined to comment. CNN contacted the supplier of the props used on the set, but has not heard back.

The family’s lawyer for Matthew Hutchins, Halyna Hutchins’ widower, said in a statement that they would not comment on the release of evidence.

“We were surprised by the decision by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office to release such a large amount of evidence today as the investigation is still ongoing and active,” said attorney Brian Panish. “For this reason, we will not comment on the released material, except to say that we hope the press will exercise discretion in how they use the graphic images and videos of the fatal events of October 21, 2021.”

The Santa Fe County District Attorney’s Office will wait until the full investigation of the fatal shooting is completed before a prosecution decision is made in the case, according to a statement obtained by CNN.

“The investigation has not been completed,” reads a statement from DA Mary Carmack-Altwies, adding that the sheriff’s office is still “awaiting significant reports and will not complete their investigation until these reports have been submitted.”

“Once we have received the completed investigation and conducted a thorough and deliberate review of all evidence, a criminal charge will be taken,” Carmack-Altwies said in a statement.

CNN’s Paul Vercammen, Julia Jones and Chloe Melas contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *